Auckland Mayor 2010

Posted by admin 
Re: Auckland Mayor 2010
September 02, 2009 10:32AM
Bring back Robbie.
September 02, 2009 07:51PM
Surely there's plenty of other rich business men who fancy a crack. Throughout the history of politics they tend to spring up quite regularly.
September 02, 2009 09:58PM
I just can't see people in one 'city' opting to vote for someone from another 'city'. The local incumbent got there through winning their vote last time so any 'local' candidate who wants to push a regional barrow is going to have the support of their (former) constituents.

I won't be voting for anyone who has served in another 'city'. I acknowledge I am being 100% parochial and one-eyed, but who won't be when it comes time to putting pen to paper? Who won't put their 'city' ahead of others for the sake of the greater good? Let's not forget exactly half the population is not as smart as the average person - and at the risk of sounding like I'm speaking from an ivory tower, what will motivate these people? I could be wrong but I believe it will be regional issues and local personalities. Imagine the support someone like Inga Tuigamala or Michael Jones would get in South and West Auckland if they decided to have a go!

But seriously, in the absence of someone else coming out of the woodwork, I can see the votes falling according to historical city lines/populations. So I believe we actually need a new or independent candidate to motivate voters to work together to get a clean result. 70% of voters won't want a mayor that won 30% of the vote!

Again, it's just my opinion
Andrew

Disclosure: I'm long on the big 2 candidates (Banks & Brown) at cheap prices as an insurance policy, and long on 'Other'. Banks is a useful insurance policy in the event there is no super-city and Others is a useful insurance policy if there is no election.
September 03, 2009 01:03AM
andrew93 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I just can't see people in one 'city' opting to
> vote for someone from another 'city'. The local
> incumbent got there through winning their vote
> last time so any 'local' candidate who wants to
> push a regional barrow is going to have the
> support of their (former) constituents.

I assumed the same thing, hence my original post about the poor showing of old Harvey. I think people are underestimating the diversity of the regions. Manukau and Waitakere account ~40% of the supercity population. North Shore and Central City account for ~45%. Assuming another right leaning candidate puts their hat in the ring there will be real competition through vote splitting.

At this stage I think its safe to assume the supercity proposal is going through. The first supercity bill went through relatively easily in parliament and the transitional authority is set up. National have the power to get this through and are showing the political will. I think the only question is, will it happen in time.

"A second bill creating the boundaries and nature of the council goes to select committee for submissions and becomes law in September.

A third bill that defines the powers and functions of the Supercity is then introduced and becomes law by April 2010 in time for the super council elections the following October."
[www.nzherald.co.nz]
September 03, 2009 10:25AM
I thought Brown had a fair chance until he said he supported Maori seats and implied he would bring them in if elected, which I understand he would be able to do

... I think that alone will come back to bite him and totally ruin his chances - personally I would now go out of my way to see anyone else elected including my pet cat!
September 04, 2009 03:09AM
I dont think there will be any Maori seats Corbusian

Super City details released just now:

"The Government is expected to adopt the recommendations of the select committee as the basis to pass the Local Government(Auckland Council) Bill into law next week."

[www.nzherald.co.nz]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2009 03:09AM by Artist.
October 13, 2009 10:06AM
Mystery candidate announcement in next few days?
October 13, 2009 06:35PM
Has to happen sometime! its way to juicy a job for the power hungry to be left to the 2 present candidates unopposed.
November 26, 2009 11:40PM
Len Brown up 23 cents ... did I miss something?
mrh
November 27, 2009 02:38AM
An opportunity for profit?
November 27, 2009 04:03AM
It's Brown's Town
December 01, 2009 01:21PM
Is anyone else sick of seeing Winston's ugly mug shot amongst the candidates? I need to find a way to block that photo.
December 01, 2009 07:53PM
TraderV Wrote:
> Is anyone else sick of seeing Winston's ugly mug
> shot amongst the candidates? I need to find a way
> to block that photo.

I feel the same about Banks however, I find using a mental block and getting over it helps.spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
December 02, 2009 03:18AM
Mind you better than having Jenny Shipley's mug shot (just) eye popping smiley
December 14, 2009 04:39PM
URM poll just released by NZ Herald puts Brown ahead of Banks by a mile.

Brown 43 points, Banks 32 points; the poll was conducted during Banks full page advertising campaign!

I also notice Banks team has done polling although they disagree amongst their own team on sample size but havent released the results which means it says the same as the Herald poll

By by Banks and Buy Buy Brown.
January 05, 2010 10:21PM
[www.nzherald.co.nz]

Banksie down to 8.2% in this poll! .. Though it seems a bit of an entertainment holiday poll the sample size was 3 times the URM poll.

Tindall for mayor! .. never thought of that but why not smiling smiley
January 06, 2010 01:41AM
Did Tindall just come second behind Brown in that Herald poll? That's what I took from the graphic. Might have to launch a new contract - but it will have to be outside the current bundle.
February 22, 2010 11:58PM
Poll commisioned by Banks himself and carried out by a polling company with National party links shows Banks & Brown level pegging. I wonder when we'll get an unbiased poll to get a clearer picture?

Funny that Banksie didn't release the last poll he carried out at the same time as the URM poll, perhaps they didn't poll the right people to give him a favourable outcome..

If Banks carried out this poll I'd expect at least a 10% bias in the result in his favour.

[www.nzherald.co.nz]
February 26, 2010 05:39PM
I think both polling companies are valid, the results are close and spot on it will be a very tight race. Banks stock price is high as he and/or his mates are buying in to inflate it (so take advantage of this if you want to sell down) - much like they did with Huljich Wealth Management Kiwisaver to inflate reporting of returns, yes Banks is an Executive Director of this company according to it's prospectus, if he was still an MP he would have resigned by now. Once the Security Commission fully investigates polls/stock prices will change!
hot smiley
February 26, 2010 07:11PM
Aha! Thanks Create, I have got the distinct impression the Banks price was being artificially inflated by one determined buyer, with plenty of money to throw at it. They must have thousands of this stock by now - definitely an opportunity to continue to sell Banks at a good price! and buy the alternatives cheaply..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2010 07:11PM by corbusian.
February 26, 2010 11:44PM
Is there supposed to be some positive feedback loop between inflated stock prices and voter intention?
February 28, 2010 03:49AM
Artist Wrote:
> Is there supposed to be some positive feedback
> loop between inflated stock prices and voter
> intention?

Or so someone thinks. Time to play market maker and get some sensibility back into that price....
March 08, 2010 07:34AM
Some one is playing this stock hard - more money than sense or some other agenda - buying stock off him/herself to push it up - thanks for the shorting opportunity.
Money cant buy everything.

Cheers Heez
March 08, 2010 08:16PM
how do you buy off yourself without 2 accounts? which of course is not allowed...The Banksie price does though seem heavily driven by one buyer whatever the motivation... time will tell - theres certainly opportunity there!
March 11, 2010 03:01AM
If you look at the track record of ipredict stock prices and past performance it is a pretty good indicator of future outcomes. Agreed that someone is wasting large bucks on Banks and their motivation is most likely a self-fulfilling prophecy to give Banks backers a bit of comfort so they dont put someone else up to split his vote. Buy short on Banks because as soon as a third contender is announced Banks will drop. Think Brown is still a good buy at current prices. I heard him speak at a business function in the CBD the other day, he was well received by all of us blue boys!

winking smiley
March 11, 2010 03:17AM
Given the paucity of publicity about iPredict prices, I'm heavily skeptical about manipulation intended to create self-fulfilling prophecies.

I know nothing about Auckland politics so am staying out of this one (except long position on Shipley running given a rumour I'd heard and very low price at which I was able to buy),.
April 13, 2010 03:26PM
See Len Brown has 5,000 Facebook friends and Banks has under 2,000. Also JT in the Herald this week saying he won't stand. Looks like a 2 horse race!
April 14, 2010 07:13AM
Yep u can buy stock but u can't buy friends.
May 13, 2010 10:58AM
What's happening with Brown stock heaps traded today pushing Brown up - but last poll had Banks ahead?
May 13, 2010 11:16AM
Wouldn't take much notice of the last Poll as it was done by Banks and only polled ratepayers when in fact everyone gets to vote. But yes a lot traded today in Browns favour, perhaps Banks is stepping down due to Securities Commission investigation into his business practices!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login