Will a Green Party MP be appointed Minister after the election?

Posted by admin 
Will a Green Party MP be appointed Minister after the election?
October 05, 2011 05:11PM
MIN.GREEN.12

At least one Green Party MP to be a Minister in next government

This contract pays $1 if a Green Party MP is appointed a Minister (in or outside Cabinet, including Associate Minister) after the 2011 General Election. Otherwise this contract pays $0.

This contract is unaffected by whether the Ministerial appointment is to in or outside Cabinet. This contract is unaffected by which party leads the next Government. Subject to other conditions, this contract pays $1 for positions including Cabinet Minister, Minister outside Cabinet, Minister Outside the Government, Associate Minister, any Ministerial role for which a Ministerial Warrant is issued.

For the purposes of the contract:

a) ‘appointment’ occurs when an offer is accepted.

b) Green Party MP means a Member of Parliament who stood for the NZ Green Party in the 2011 General Election (or the first General Election after the launch of this contract) and who is a member of the NZ Green Party when an appointment occurs.

c) ‘next’ refers to the first government formed after the next New Zealand General Election.

This contract will immediately close at $1 if a Green Party MP is appointed a Minister (in or outside Cabinet) after the 2011 General Election.

This contract will close at $0 if all open Ministerial appointments after the General Election have been made and a Green Party MP is not among them.

This contract will include any new Ministerial position (in or outside Cabinet) definitively announced while the contract is open.

In any event this contract will close no later than 11:59pm 1 March 2012.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2011 08:31AM by admin.
Re: Will a Green Party MP be appointed Minister after the election?
October 05, 2011 05:51PM
What about associate minister?
October 06, 2011 08:24AM
Nice catch, thanks
October 06, 2011 09:37AM
This is fairly pedantic and extremely unlikely to happen, and I mainly raise it as an item to think about for any other stocks created where it could be more of a possibility.

"b) Green Party MP means a Member of Parliament who stood for the NZ Green Party in the 2011 General Election (or the first General Election after the launch of this contract) and who is a member of the NZ Green Party when an appointment occurs. "

This seems like it would not include a green MP who didn't stand at the election but subsequently won a by-election.

Yes, highly unlikely. But is it is deliberate for this clause to exclude such a person?
October 26, 2011 06:26PM
Only saw this just now. No not a deliberate exclusion, and as drafted I think the contract would exclude that partciular situation. I dont think the contract is ambiguous, anyoene who read it would understand they were excluded - although some will find that result unintuitive or incompatible with the short description, so that is not ideal. But yes, a possible outcome I didn't anticipate. Nicely spotted.
December 15, 2011 06:56PM
I think MIN.GREEN.12 can close ?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login