What does everyone here do for a living?

Posted by ozaki 
Re: What does everyone here do for a living?
June 24, 2010 12:12AM
First year uni student: Economics/Finance
October 12, 2010 11:30PM
"The Rawleigh's Man"
October 14, 2010 12:39PM
lawyer
October 15, 2010 09:10PM
Promotions Co-ordinator
February 03, 2011 08:37AM
Rock'n and roll'n and what-not...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2011 08:47AM by Wilson.
February 09, 2011 11:05PM
Lawyer.
February 20, 2011 08:08PM
DOC Ranger.
Drawn in by the possibility of testing predictions about resource exhaustion and climate change. But it does seem hard to propose a testable proposition that has a yes/no answer at a date. I saw the 'freeze the Thames' one. I assume it meant freeze hard enough to walk over at a certain London site of historical note. Becasue it is sure to have frozen somewhere in its tributarries. The detail was not in the proposition so I was not going to bid on it.

I presume there are other peole that find this difficult, noting the lack of propositions put up to bid on.

GreenDoor
June 17, 2011 06:59AM
Advertising
WKn
June 24, 2011 03:50PM
Webmonkey
July 08, 2011 02:24PM
Engineering currently feeds the family right now, but hoping to change that having just completed MBA.
Seems I have a bit of a knack for Strategy, Marketing and HRM.....anyone got any jobs going?
August 01, 2011 09:20PM
Journalist
August 05, 2011 08:15PM
I've just joined up. Enjoy the comments about professions but surely like all competitive markets the players have a vested interest in misleading other players as to their expertise or otherwise and providing misinformation - in order to improve their own odds. Hence my name.
August 05, 2011 09:16PM
nope - people pretty much call it like it is here. unless that is what your doing?
OCG
August 05, 2011 10:53PM
farrst Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> nope - people pretty much call it like it is here.
> unless that is what your doing? thumbs up

it's hard to think of a time where someone being convinced of your wally-ness might help in some way, but that said, all someone needs to do is check your ROI to see if you really are a wally (or in my case of course just unlucky eye rolling smiley)
August 06, 2011 04:35PM
I've thought about this before, but don't think much misdirection happens here. There are two ways to jawbone the market to your advantage:

- You perceive the price is wrong, so you take a position and then post in the forums with your information. The market acts on your information and moves in the same direction, improving your position.

- You perceive the price is right, but want a discount. So you post misleading information in the hope of pushing the price out of whack. When it moves, you trade against it.

The latter is much harder because most such fluctuations are short-lived. Timing is everything. It's a lot of effort, and you don't stand to make much money out of it since liquidity here is low.
August 19, 2011 08:48PM
Hi
Good discussion thanks.
I was wondering if ,say, you were Phil Goff and wanted to rig the contract as much as possile to control it and keep the speculation on your leadership down... given the low liquidity couldn't you just throw a few hundred dollars into buying lote of contracts and heavily influence the contract price? i.e. assuming you are prepared to lose money in return for stifling media coverage etc.you could bid low from one account and sell low from another?
Or is it just too difficult?
August 20, 2011 02:09PM
CompleteWally Wrote:
> Hi
> Good discussion thanks.
> I was wondering if ,say, you were Phil Goff and
> wanted to rig the contract as much as possile to
> control it and keep the speculation on your
> leadership down...

Ummm... one suspects a couple of well chosen words to the media pack at a photo opp may receive rather more notice and shift the discussion rather further than any particular pricing on a website with a few score of active traders. Manipulating opinion at that level requires a level of micro-attention that I suspect is the luxury of the unemployed blogger/aspiring politician rather than someone seriously involved with managing a major political party.
August 20, 2011 02:52PM
Or you could buy a few million dollars on the NZX to drive the points up so you could make a few bucks on ipredict winking smiley

Truth be told many here are here to see what people think rather than try and manipulate their thoughts. Even if you did try an manipulate the market. As with many markets the forces would bring it back into tow soon enough. You have to remember that there is a $2500 deposit cap. So even if you did want to swing the market.......you would have to feed $1000 into a stock to do anything substantial. I doubt even Goff is that frivolous.

As said earlier - its cheaper to make a facebook page and jump on freelancer.co.nz and buy a million "likes".
August 20, 2011 11:18PM
Daily trades on Goff for example are low (eg $50 per day).
If you moved the price you may take the market with you to a certain extent in terms of expectations.
i-predict does get media coverage.And is followed by alot of commentators and bloggers with influence.
Alot of outsiders (eg caucus members) probably have no idea of how small the ipredict volume is.I would not be surpirsed if political people with vested interests try and manipulate some of the contracts.
It could be a loose grouping of supporters.
Im not sayingit is happening just that it is quite possible for it to happen. I havent seen any good reason above yet whyit wouldnt.
(Account limit of $2500 could be circumvented with multiple accounts anyway).
Interested in anyother sensible comments though.
August 21, 2011 10:36AM
loss adjuster on hiatus from contract management
August 21, 2011 11:21AM
Still easier (and cheaper) to buy a few thousand students and put them "conference" chanting "We love Phil Goff"...... works for Young Nationals lol

Truth be told I have put a few things up here to get press attention (check the new stocks page). But I do not use this as an only medium, and as for manipulating the market with a few thousand members.....well lets just say you would lose you money eventually. I have tried Rogue bidding here and it takes more than money to get it right. You have to mind f them to convince them the risk/reward numbers are wrong.

But then again........that is politics winking smiley
August 22, 2011 09:36PM
Me thinks this has wandered horribly off topic.
August 22, 2011 10:19PM
Now I wonder how many of you's are drug dealers spending your winnings.

I mean your not going to say on a public forum.
"I sell drugs to earn my crust, but I am interesting in financial and political issues"

Also where are all the zoo keepers? firemen? and cooks? that are required for a complete society.

Also is CompleteWally, Phil Goff?
August 23, 2011 12:06PM
On topic: I'm an IT consultant - network systems integration.

Though I do feel a bit like a drug dealer sometimes.
August 23, 2011 01:44PM
[Spam]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2011 02:25PM by admin.
August 23, 2011 02:20PM
Sweet a spammer has signed up. I was starting to think this place wasn't normal.
August 23, 2011 08:12PM
Perhaps he/she does [spam] for a living...
August 23, 2011 09:33PM
Or its Phil Goff throwing us off track. eye popping smiley
August 24, 2011 12:08PM
farrst Wrote:
> Or its Phil Goff throwing us off track. eye popping smiley

Aren't we off track enough already???
September 08, 2011 09:27PM
Roadmarker with Fulton Hogan, best job in the world! (apart from Boob Inspector)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login