MOFBIE.TEC

Posted by blackdog 
MOFBIE.TEC
April 23, 2012 11:56PM
Will MOFBIE.TEC and all the other MOFBIE stocks close after today's announcement by Steven Joyce and Jonathan Coleman about what will and won;t be in the new agency?

"The Government has today confirmed its plans to establish the new Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment on 1 July this year.

The Ministry will bring together the existing functions of the Ministry of Economic Development, Ministry of Science and Innovation, Department of Labour and Department of Building and Housing..."

[beehive.govt.nz]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2012 11:56PM by blackdog.
Re: MOFBIE.TEC
April 24, 2012 12:31AM
No. The market still seems to think they will be part of it. See
[www.ipredict.co.nz]
and
[www.ipredict.co.nz]
April 24, 2012 12:42AM
OK, but the govt appears to have just "formally and finally announced" that they will be merging in MSI, MED, DBH and DOL into MBIE from 1 July. That would seem to close the contracts for MOFBIE.SCIENCE and MOFBIE.BUILDING.
April 24, 2012 12:46AM
admin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> No. The market still seems to think they will be
> part of it. See
> [www.ipredict.co.nz]
> ail&contract=MOFBIE.NZTE
> and
> [www.ipredict.co.nz]
> ail&contract=MOFBIE.TEC

I think what has gone wrong is the MM is too thick. It takes 100 stocks to move the price just 0.0118c.
April 24, 2012 12:47AM
It hasn't announced anything about TEC or NZTE that we can see. It has made a surprise announcement about the Ministry of Consumer Affairs. It may yet make an announcement about TEC and NZTE and the market seems to be indicating it might. If you think this isn't going happen, there is lots of liquidity to take a short position against and make a profit.
April 24, 2012 12:54AM
I agree with eeyore - I'm responsible for 90% plus of the trading volume on this one since it launched and it's only gone down 16c since a peak of 74c, and I've been selling all the way through. There is no-one else in the market. Never mind, I'll look forward to a payout later.
April 24, 2012 12:58AM
I'm not complaining - money to be made etc. But from a prediction quality and MM losses perspective it's probably not good.
April 24, 2012 01:31AM
blackdog Wrote:
> OK, but the govt appears to have just "formally
> and finally announced" that they will be merging
> in MSI, MED, DBH and DOL into MBIE from 1 July.
> That would seem to close the contracts for
> MOFBIE.SCIENCE and MOFBIE.BUILDING.

Indeed, could we close the MOFBIE.SCIENCE and MOFBIE.BUILDING contracts?
April 24, 2012 07:11AM
admin, why remove the market maker completely if you still think that they could go either way (at least in the case of NZTE and TEC stocks)? And if they're certain why not close the stock rather than remove the market maker (for MOFBIE.SCIENCE and MOFBIE.BUILDING)? Whichever way you interpret the judging criteria, either the outcome is certain or it's not, but removing the market maker is just sending a mixed message.

I've noticed that on stocks where the market maker is removed (including these) that it pretty much kills trading activity, distorts the market price and makes it extremely difficult to cash out even at unfavourable prices. In my case I'll soon be unable to trade for a couple of months as I'll be going overseas, so I don't want to hold stocks long term - something I didn't think would be a problem for these stocks when I was trading them this morning.

There also seems to be some manipulation on the MOFBIE.NZTE stock, as three times today someone bought a single stock at $0.999 or higher, when all the other trades today indicate the price should be quite low. I'm not sure what the motivation is here, but clearly it's not an accurate price and is an example of the issues with removing the market maker.

More generally, on the topic of removing market makers: I understand the motivation behind doing so in cases just before an announcement is made (ie, to reduce losses to iPredict). However I would argue that the hours before an announcement are often when it's most useful to have an accurate market prediction as this is when there's the most interest. Perhaps using a thin market maker would be a better compromise (with 1 stock per price point), as has happened in the past? It would (typically) reduce losses by 90% compared to keeping the market maker in place normally, but still allow the market to give an accurate prediction close to the announcement. Of course, this doesn't apply in this situation since it was done quite a while *after* the announcement, after the market maker had already made most of its losses. Removing a market maker from a stock a significant time before it is due to close ties up capital and is quite frustrating.

For the record, I agree with blackdog and eeyore regarding the market maker density earlier today. The density you set it to in response to those comments seemed appropriate.

Edit: On second thought, one possible reason for the odd trades on MOFBIE.NZTE might be to set an unrealistic initial price should the market maker be turned back on. If you do, perhaps the last traded price prior to it being turned off would be better for iPredict's coffers. winking smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2012 07:20AM by hmonkey.
April 24, 2012 07:25AM
Fair enough. We'll go to very thin MMs before announcements rather than none at all.
April 24, 2012 07:54AM
> There also seems to be some manipulation on the
> MOFBIE.NZTE stock, as three times today someone
> bought a single stock at $0.999 or higher, when

Either mischief, or someone who assumed all the MOFBIE.agency stocks were for ones the government had announced and made a silly mistake.

In any case, no-MM stocks could be handled better: Portfolio page (and various other places) estimates value using Last price instead of average of spread, or Sell (if you are short) or Buy (if you are long) which would give a fairer value and net worth. MOFBIE.TEC keeps showing 99% and knocking a big chunk off my Net Worth even though the 99.5c sell price is not meaningful to my short position.
April 24, 2012 08:20AM
Thanks admin. Any word on these stocks specifically, ie a) what would cause MOFBIE.SCIENCE and MOFBIE.BUILDING to close at $1 (since there's clearly some confusion around this) and b) if there are any plans to put a market maker back on MOFBIE.NZTE and MOFBIE.TEC?

eeyore Wrote:
> Either mischief, or someone who assumed all the
> MOFBIE.agency stocks were for ones the government
> had announced and made a silly mistake.

Except that:
  • It happened three times
  • It didn't happen on any of the stocks that *were* part of the announcement
  • It was for a single stock each time
  • There was no potential profit in it even if they were part of the announcement (~$3 invested for an eighth of a cent profit, or a loss if they had to pay fees).

But yes, I agree that the portfolio estimate isn't very meaningful in such cases. My net worth has certainly jumped around today!
April 24, 2012 08:41AM
> Thanks admin. Any word on these stocks
> specifically, ie a) what would cause
> MOFBIE.SCIENCE and MOFBIE.BUILDING to close at $1
> (since there's clearly some confusion around this)
>
Can we please have some clarification around this
April 24, 2012 09:01AM
I agree, I've read the criteria carefully and can't see what we're waiting for on the SCIENCE and BUILDING contracts.
April 24, 2012 04:50PM
Good morning
MOFBIE.SCIENCE and MOFBIE.BUILDING have been closed at $1.
A light liquidity MM has been restored to TEC and NZTE at 50c so there may be a few profits for whoever gets in first.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login