Summers and Geithner

Posted by admin 
Summers and Geithner
February 18, 2010 08:05PM
Will Lawrence Summers resign or be sacked as as Director of the National Economic Council in 2010?

Will Timothy Geithner depart as Secretary of the Treasury in 2010?

Will both depart this year?
Re: Summers and Geithner
April 07, 2010 01:44PM
Lots of speculation on a Summers resignation...
May 25, 2010 12:11AM
And more speculation.
May 25, 2010 09:23AM
I think Summers will go, just a matter of timing - as was the case with JG Brown.
August 08, 2010 04:51AM
Two down, two to go.

August 08, 2010 09:34AM
Romer gone makes Summers more likely to stay, not less.
August 08, 2010 10:29AM
I think a lot will depend on November.
Summers has already stayed longer than most do in these roles.

At the current pricing I think its worth a punt.
August 29, 2010 08:30PM
Stronger renewed calls for their dismissal from both Republicans and Democrats:

[blogs.wsj.com]
[voices.washingtonpost.com]
[www.mynews4.com]
[www.reuters.com]
September 21, 2010 10:36PM
..And Summers is done.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2010 10:37PM by defaultswap.
September 21, 2010 11:31PM
Just gotta get Geithner out now smiling smiley
September 21, 2010 11:44PM
Since Summers resignation - Intrade has Geithner to depart at 15% likely now. ipredict around 8%
September 21, 2010 11:46PM
Had worried about close date issues on Summers, but anything up to first working day in January works by contract definition, so this seems done.
September 22, 2010 11:41AM
I think Geithner will stay. His public image seems to have improved, if anything his role is broadening.

I think we need a new stock for US economics related personalities. Perhaps something that could cover Tim Geithner v Elizabeth Warren over the consumer protection bureau.

Background
September 23, 2010 03:43AM
Ok, we'll close this once there is clarity on timing. The contract is judged on when Mr Summers' departure takes effect.
September 23, 2010 08:59AM
admin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ok, we'll close this once there is clarity on
> timing. The contract is judged on when Mr Summers'
> departure takes effect.

The white house press release says he is leaving at the end of the year, which means the contract should be able to close.
September 23, 2010 09:20PM
"At the end of the year" is pretty vague. It would suck to close this now only to find that he actually departs mid-January, which is when he's due to be back at Harvard (I believe).
September 24, 2010 05:09AM
If everyone was of the opinion that this is ready to close, then wouldn't SUMMERS.RESIGN be trading at 0.9999 or close to it?

I think the fact that it is at 0.9427 / 0.9462 means that the 'voting users' (as weighted by their involvement in the market) say keep it open.

Alan.

PS: I am just about cleared out myself - I have minus 1 of US.BOTH.RESIGN and none of SUMMERS.RESIGN right now, so not really 'interested' in that respect.
September 24, 2010 05:56AM
defaultswap Wrote:
> "At the end of the year" is pretty vague. It
> would suck to close this now only to find that he
> actually departs mid-January, which is when he's
> due to be back at Harvard (I believe).

If it was going to be mid-Jan they would have said early next year.

I don't think the price is showing the probability anymore only the time value of money if this doesn't close until December. (and lots of people trying to take profit)
September 27, 2010 12:08AM
[www.observer.com]

Suggestions that if the democrats lose either house that Geithner will be the fall guy for the recent economic problems.
September 27, 2010 12:33AM
intrade has geithner to depart at 0.40, iPredict seems pretty underpriced
September 27, 2010 01:44AM
Sssshhh tongue sticking out smiley

[www.cnbc.com]

Yes I saw this one earlier in the week... I was trying to buy up while the price stayed low smiling smiley
September 27, 2010 01:55AM
Remember it's by the end of 2010. I imagine the hand-over period could be substantial.
September 29, 2010 04:15AM
Contracts on who will replace Summers?

Summers speaks on successor

Lots of names going round, fmr CEO of Xerox sounds likely or maybe one of the heads of PIMCO
October 05, 2010 04:32AM
Happy to take suggestions. Or steal borrow them from Intrade.
October 18, 2010 01:44AM
Having just read the rather long discussion on the Australian dollar I am more convinced this should close now.

I think the test must be the reporting/announcement of when he leaves:

This contract will close at $1 on Mr Summers' resignation, sacking, or permanent departure due to any reason.

This contract will be judged based on when Mr Summers' departure takes effect

It has been reported by the white house that he will be going to Harvard at the end of this year:

Dr. Lawrence H. Summers, Director of the National Economic Council, to Return to Harvard University at the End of the Year

that statement is very clear about when he will leave and the test is therefore satisfied. also other contracts like MP.ANDERTON.2010 were able to be closed on this type of announcement.
October 18, 2010 02:27AM
The MP.ANDERTON 'test' was whether Anderton would announce he will not stand. The SUMMERS.RESIGN test is whether or not Summers will actually depart by 3 January. Summers has not yet departed, so this contract is still in play - as the current price attests to.
October 18, 2010 02:53AM
defaultswap Wrote:
> The MP.ANDERTON 'test' was whether Anderton would
> announce he will not stand. The SUMMERS.RESIGN
> test is whether or not Summers will actually
> depart by 3 January. Summers has not yet
> departed, so this contract is still in play - as
> the current price attests to.

I disagree that it is about his actual departure, its about an announcement of a date. I think it is unlikely the media will show him walking out the door on his last day because his departure is already widely understood.
October 18, 2010 03:22AM
This seems actually more debatable than the OzDollar contract, going by the judging criteria:

”to measure the likelihood of LS surviving 2010” - debatable whether he has survived 2010 or fallen during 2010.

“Departure must be announced” - clearly met.

“This contract will close at $1 on Mr Summers' resignation...” - Clearly met

“This contract will be judged based on when Mr Summers' departure takes effect.” - Hmmmm...

Interesting. Gotta love contract law.

”Judging Criteria“
”The purpose of this contract is to measure the likelihood of Lawrence Summers surviving 2010 as US Director of the US National Economic Council.
Departure must be announced or widely understood to be permanent. This contract will not close, for example, due to sick leave, or due to an Acting Director being appointed while Mr Summers is overseas or on holiday or temporarily stood down.
This contract will close at $1 on Mr Summers' resignation, sacking, or permanent departure due to any reason.
This contract will be judged based on when Mr Summers' departure takes effect
Note: this contract will close at $1 for a departure up to and including departure on Monday 3 January 2011 US Eastern Standard Time, the first working day of the year.“
October 18, 2010 11:34PM
Seems pretty obvious to me.
October 18, 2010 11:47PM
This contract will be judged based on when Mr Summers' departure takes effect....

Not complicated
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login