Browse Predictions

Posted by mc2001 
Browse Predictions
May 25, 2010 12:40PM
Have noticed this for a bit now but seems to be worse at the moment

When I browser predictions there is an offset between the price information and the stock title. This means that the browser predictions appears to have the first stock with no price details and then prices details for subsequent stocks. in actual fact it is just offset by one and if you scroll to the bottom you can see this.

However being fairly simple it does sometimes get quite confusing when I'm trying to quickly look at prices. sometimes when you hit refresh it sorts itsel out.
Re: Browse Predictions
May 25, 2010 01:13PM
I'm not sure whether this is the same issue, but I sometimes get the 'trade' and 'watch' buttons on a different row.

Could it be due to particularly long contract names?

For example:

NAT.ACT.PMB

has a description of:

"Any ACT MP Private Members Bill to pass first reading in the remainder of this Parliamentary term."

which, if I counted correctly, is 98 characters and is one of the longest descriptions at the time I am posting.

Does that one exhibit the problem?

Alan.
May 25, 2010 01:58PM
Hi,

Can you do us a favour (please) and tell us what browsers you are using, and if you know, what your screen resolution is (ie 1024x768 or whatever)

thanks very much
May 25, 2010 02:02PM
Hi ITeam

Browser I.E. 7
Resolution 1280 x 800

I have an image of the issue if needed to show what I mean

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2010 02:04PM by mc2001.
May 25, 2010 10:09PM
Hi,

I see the issue I posted above now on this machine currently using:

WinXP Pro SP2 (Fully patched except not SP3)
IE7
Screen = 1024 x 768

Please note that the OP has not responded to my post, so I can't be sure if he is talking about the same issue.

HTH,

Alan.
May 25, 2010 10:11PM
I'm running Firefox on Mac OS X and not having the problem.
May 26, 2010 10:25AM
Hi Alan

Yes I'm getting the issue you are with the long name and trade running onto the line below but it is different from the Error I'm highlighting

Here is what I'm getting

Image of Error
May 26, 2010 10:48AM
Hi mc2001,

I see what you mean - I'm definitely not getting that problem.

Mine is just purely a formatting problem (I think), whereas yours has the potential to cause some confusion.

Let's focus on your problem here.

Alan.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2010 10:48AM by Alan3285.
May 26, 2010 02:45PM
mc2001 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi Alan
>
> Yes I'm getting the issue you are with the long
> name and trade running onto the line below but it
> is different from the Error I'm highlighting
>
> Here is what I'm getting
>
> Image of Error

That would really bother me. The only thing I see in common at the moment is IE7, has there been a recent update?

I'll be able to get on a machine running Windows XP and IE?. If I see any problem I'll be back here to update.
May 26, 2010 08:11PM
I get the same problem as MC2001 but it disappears after i refresh the screen
May 26, 2010 11:58PM
I think I may have some more information not sure if this will make sense to ITeam

Yes Dibbo sometimes when I refresh it does go away.

When it happens I notice there is a scrollable area inside the main page with all of the predictions stocks in this area. When the refresh corrects it, it seems the page corrects itself and removes the scrollable area.

Hope that make sense to someone When it happens again I'll try and get a better screen grab.

Have uploaded a new image which shows the behaviour clearly. On the browse all I have sections that display incorrectly with a scroll bar and other that display ok without the scroll bar all on the same page. Have a look at the second image.

Another Image

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2010 12:38AM by mc2001.
May 27, 2010 08:53AM
Ahhh - now I know what you are talking about.

I also get that sometimes, and if I do, I always just hit 'refresh' and it goes away.

I also get it sometimes in the forums I think.

To be honest, until you mention it, I had kinda 'filtered it out' as I have just gotten used to refreshing if it happens.

You are not alone on that!

I am no expert, but I think that it seems to put the interior (data) area inside an i-frame or something like that?

Alan.
May 27, 2010 09:27AM
Hi all,

Thanks for all this info.

We've re-jigged the style sheet (formatting) for this page now, it's just going through a bit of testing (to make sure we haven't broken something else in the process) and then I'll put the fix out.

It should fix all the problems described above.
May 27, 2010 09:40AM
Thanks for all the information/screen shots you have provided. We are making fixes to the page as I speak and changes should be released soon. To answer your question Alan, the forums are inside an i-frame however the Browse Predictions page is not.

Developing a webpage design that works for all browsers on all systems is definately an interesting challenge at times, and we do the best we can - unfortuanately small bugs specific to a particular browser/resolution can slip through.

If you have noticed this behaviour on any other pages please let us know, as we want the site to be perfect.

Chris
May 27, 2010 07:53PM
GlitchNZ Wrote:
>
>To answer your question Alan, the forums are inside
> an i-frame however the Browse Predictions page is
> not.
>

As I said, I am not an expert, but the attached screen shot of the 'browse all' page looks like an IFrame, but perhaps it is something else similar that I don't know the name of?

This is the direct URL of the image, but I have tried to insert it below too (may not size nicely, hence this link):

IPredict - Browse All Page - Appears to have IFrame (or is it something else?)

Edit: The image inline is too wide (for my screen anyway), and you need to see the right hand side of it, so try the direct URL above instead.

Alan.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2010 07:55PM by Alan3285.
May 28, 2010 12:22PM
Alan3285 Wrote:
> As I said, I am not an expert, but the attached
> screen shot of the 'browse all' page looks like an
> IFrame, but perhaps it is something else similar
> that I don't know the name of?

HiAlan, The thing you are looking for is a DIV element controlled by css. If incorrectly configured they can give an appearance similar to that of an i-frame, even though the content is 'inline' on the page.
May 28, 2010 08:09PM
Well that's my thing to have learned today!

Thanks GlitchNZ.

Alan.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login