Browse Stocks page.

Posted by ORACLE 
Browse Stocks page.
April 10, 2009 03:01PM
I would like to see this page broken down by category into more pages so that, instead of waiting for the whole page to load, including stocks that I don't wish to see, I would be able to open a page or pages that showed only the stocks of my interest.
bkd
Re: Browse Stocks page.
April 10, 2009 05:42PM
If you're comfortable with xml manipulation, the API gives more than enough flexibility to do this and more. Added bonus: reduced bandwidth usage as you don't have to get the whole html page. Very useful if, like me, you're trying to automate a bunch of trading.
April 10, 2009 05:47PM
bkd Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If you're comfortable with xml manipulation, the
> API gives more than enough flexibility to do this
> and more. Added bonus: reduced bandwidth usage as
> you don't have to get the whole html page. Very
> useful if, like me, you're trying to automate a
> bunch of trading.

This, I have to admit, is beyond the scope of my knowledge and expertise. However, I'm willing to learn more.
bkd
April 10, 2009 05:50PM
It's kinda beyond my expertise as well—I'm using iPredict as an excuse to learn a whole bunch of cool stuff.
April 10, 2009 07:05PM
So what is required to be able to do this?
bkd
April 15, 2009 03:36AM
Hi Oracle... sorry about long delay.

It's really a matter of taste, and a matter of your coding skills. I'm treating this as an opportunity to learn AJAX, so I'm approaching all this from a JavaScript & PHP perspective. That said, you might be able to dream up some other approach.

I'm doing things like creating my own page from which I can do multiple trades at once, and getting my computer to automate some of the number-crunching. The goal is to develop a script that automates a whole lot of trading using a scalping strategy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2009 03:38AM by bkd.
April 15, 2009 07:11PM
I was kind of hoping that the Ipredict team would develop the trading platform further for us rather than us having to do this ourselves (pretty please)....the ability to do multiple/one click trades would be great!
April 17, 2009 10:56PM
bkd thanks for getting back on this. I've been delayed from getting back to it myself, had a bit of distraction, something about Fiji.

Now down to business, suffice to say I know nothing about things like AJAX other than it's good for cleaning that Api is the highest peak in the Yoka Pahar Section of the Nepal Himalaya.

So what I need is a pointer to a good source of info with which to get started.

Any help will be appreciated.
bkd
April 17, 2009 11:36PM
Hey hey!

If you've got the time to invest, then start with [www.tizag.com] — lots of good tutorials there, including JavaScript, PHP, and XML, which is the bulk of what you'd need.
gr
April 20, 2009 03:10PM
Agree with Legs - can this please be worked on by iPredict? If there's any way the "Browse" page can be customised, that would be great. Categories and/or drop down menus would be super.

Somewhat related and it might partially solve the problem - if possible, the "My Portfolio" drop down on the top left of every page could carry links to the stocks listed there. (I am running an old browser, though, so perhaps that might work for others already?)

Also, links in each forum topic to the relevant stock (and vice versa) would be helpful - rather than scrolling back up from a lengthy forum, then to "Browse", then scroll down to the relevant stock.
May 08, 2009 11:28AM
Hi all - we have commissioned work by an information architect and one of their briefs is to look at the browse stocks page. What we are looking at is a fundamental shift in the way stocks are organised - the current categorisation is loose and we want to tighten that up by adding event home pages. The information architect has been speaking to a number of new and regular users of the site, and they have given some great feedback (e.g. our site lacks anything recognisably New Zealand on the front page, and people have said they feel like it may be a foreign phishing site!).

For example, rather than listing five stocks for each OCR announcement, we have one item on the browse page for the OCR, and then going to the stock home page lets you see the individual stocks there, and there only.

Another idea is to have the stocks you most recently viewed listed first on the browse stocks page.

By the way, the review is all encompassing - the entire site's look and feel, the way it is organised, and the way new and experienced users will trade on it is going to change.

I'm excited about getting trading going from directly from the Portfolio page in two clicks. Portfolio page is by far our most visited page and its essential it works properly, which currently it doesn't.

Gr, hyperlinking the Portfolio drop down has been added to our development list. We're aiming for a release on Monday week and your idea will hopefully be in that.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login