OCR contracts

Posted by admin 
Re: OCR Increase stocks
August 30, 2010 07:03AM
Seems like the ipredict markets on side with BNZ at the moment!

[www.stuff.co.nz]
September 05, 2010 12:50AM
Better than even chance Canada will raise interest rates...

[www.businessweek.com]
September 05, 2010 09:30AM
What Canada do on Thursday and the statement from the rba on Tuesday will be very telling on how much bearishness rubbed off on the central bankers from growth countries at the conference last week with the fed.
September 05, 2010 10:13AM
I'm also picking the earthquake repairs and the SCF payout will provide quite a boost to the SI economy in the coming months. As to how this impacts the OCR remains to be seen.....
September 05, 2010 09:00PM
Are you saying the earthquake will have a good effect on the SI economy?
September 05, 2010 09:05PM
defaultswap Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Are you saying the earthquake will have a good
> effect on the SI economy?
>

My take:

It has to generate economic activity, much of it funded, ultimately, from offshore via the global re-insurance markets.

Also the SCF thing is akin to the govt dropping $1.7b (short term), or a net (estimated) $600m longer term into the economy, although that won't be as focused in the SI as the earthquake cleanup.

Alan.
September 05, 2010 09:29PM
If only finance company fails and earthquakes could happen more often!
September 05, 2010 10:55PM
yeah! i've got an idea!

let's build some buildings and then tear them down so we can build them again!

what a stimulus that will be!!!
September 05, 2010 11:08PM
polaris Wrote:
> yeah! i've got an idea!
>
> let's build some buildings and then tear them down
> so we can build them again!
>
> what a stimulus that will be!!!
>

Indeed it would, but don't confuse economic activity with wealth.

BTW: Your approach is what certain politicians in the thirties tried. There were a few casualties.

Alan.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/2010 11:08PM by Alan3285.
September 05, 2010 11:27PM
defaultswap Wrote:
> Are you saying the earthquake will have a good
> effect on the SI economy?

Not at all. 'Good' is an emotive word that cannot be defined in the context of this discussion. Taken as a whole the damage resulting from the earthquake will provide economic stimulus to the region. Whether or not that is a 'good' thing depends on one's perspective.
September 05, 2010 11:46PM
Well put Sir!
September 06, 2010 10:24AM
Yeah, I was mocking you, rather than being serious...

which in itself is comical!
September 06, 2010 10:39AM
polaris Wrote:
> Yeah, I was mocking you, rather than being
> serious...
>
> which in itself is comical!
>

I was probably thrown by the dazzling technical proficiency smiling bouncing smiley

Alan.
February 23, 2011 03:29AM
60% of OCR march cut
February 23, 2011 07:39AM
Taurusport...Bloomberg would be wrong re Westpac. There is absolutely no chance the RBNZ will change the OCR in the next announcement. People seem to forget the RBNZ is independent of making a change based just one occurrence in NZ even given it's severity. There is simply not enough time for them to gather the necessary data that would be required to change it at the next announcement.
This is going all the way $1.
February 23, 2011 06:57PM
I'd argue there is every chance of a cut. The RBA had plenty of data available to it prior to the quake to show the NZ economy was not running strong. Now that our second largest city will have its contribution to GDP chopped off for the next few weeks, they can easily estimate the impact. And sure it's legally independent, but it won't be immune to the single, largest natural disaster in our history. Also, have a read of the business pages today.
February 23, 2011 07:28PM
Reasonable drop in 90 day rates overnight. LT3.1 is looking to be a good buy at 50c for the next 5 days.

And I'd expect LT 3.2 to be at 99c by now, but I'm all out of cash eye rolling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2011 07:38PM by ozaki.
February 24, 2011 01:09AM
Good spotting, the 90 day rates have dropped to around 2.9 today. With calls for a drop in OCR by 50bps the rate should actually be hovering at about 2.7% by OCR time (50bps lower than the 3.2 we've seen for the past few weeks).
February 24, 2011 07:48PM
Yep, RBNZ yield for 24 Feb confirmed at 2.9% for 90 Day
[www.rbnz.govt.nz]
Looks a good buy at 26% today
February 24, 2011 09:01PM
We need it under 2.85 for "Less than 2.9" to pay out

iPredict are using Swedish rounding so anything above 2.85 will be rounded to 2.9, not fulfilling this contract. Not a bad buy, but if the market price in 25 bps it wont drop much more, if they lean more towards 50 then we might see this as a good buy. I think ~25 cents is probably appropriate in this case.
February 24, 2011 09:04PM
Latest futures market reading gives an 88% chance of a 25-point cut at the next meeting, which could also be interpreted as a 44% chance of a 50-point cut (on this occasion I think the latter is probably a better interpretation). Probability of a cut is still going up according to these numbers.
February 24, 2011 10:36PM
It dropped 0.2 between the 23rd and the 24th (3.1 to 2.9)!
February 25, 2011 01:04AM
2.86 today

[www.rbnz.govt.nz]
February 25, 2011 07:55AM
So do you concider that 2.86 is already priced in and a rate cut @0.25 = 2.61 bringing in less than.2.7?
February 28, 2011 01:09AM
Well it closes tomorrow... today's data just came out at 2.86

That doesn't satisfy the less than 2.9 as the contract uses rounding and as per contract description this result is rounded up to 2.9.

Great as a short now. 90 day rates don't seem to be moving today.
February 28, 2011 10:42PM
It's past 11.10am, so all there is left for the Reserve Bank is to calculate the average for the last day and announce it. The result can't change now, but the stock can. I wonder who has that inside information?
February 28, 2011 11:11PM
If it was inside info then it'd be much higher than it is now....
February 28, 2011 11:18PM
Interesting mind games from ozaki...

I'm all out of cash so I can only wait and profit.
February 28, 2011 11:57PM
mind games? confused smiley
March 01, 2011 03:58AM
I dont think there's any insiders on the 90 day stocks, at 3pm there was a big order buying at 10c on the 2.9% stock, which I sold to once the announcement came in around 3.03pm on the website and an insider would have jumped all over that! For some crazy reason after that the 2.9% stock then went upto about 35c... easiest money Ive made on ipredict for a while!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login