Helen Clark to be the next administrator of the United Nations Development Programme

Posted by admin 
Helen Clark to be the next administrator of the United Nations Development Programme
February 24, 2009 12:30PM
Will Helen Clark get the job?
Re: Helen Clark to be the next administrator of the United Nations Development Programme
February 24, 2009 12:46PM
I believe the is the favourite. She is the most recognised of the candidates and has international support from leaders of other nations. The other candidates from the US are relatively unknown in the world stage.

Also NZ has a good track record of past leaders joining the UN i.e. Don McKinnon, Mike Moore, etc.
Re: Helen Clark to be the next administrator of the United Nations Development Programme
February 24, 2009 12:49PM
Quite likely, when is her "job interview" and when is the decision due out?
February 24, 2009 12:52PM
[tvnz.co.nz]

Oops I should read the news before i ask a question... So she's shortlisted... I'd say it's a pretty good indicator smiling smiley
Heh, I went long on this and short on her leaving Parliament for a bit of arbitrage goodness...figure little chance of her leaving absent her getting this job....
I just can't see that Clark has a 65-75% chance of getting the job, especially with a shortlist of around 10 candidates and the murky world of UN politics. I'm going short at these prices!

"The New Zealand press is abuzz with the candidacy of former prime minister Helen Clark, saying the only blockage may be an American nomination for the post. These articles miss, however, that there are developing world candidates for the post, not only from South Africa, but also Ban Ki-moon's current chief of staff Vijay Nambiar, and even former Pakistani Ambassador Munir Akram, whose taken up a post with a Houston-based oil company. UNDP is involved in the mining sector, from Zimbabwe through Haiti to Niger." [www.innercitypress.com]
Did anything happen with this? Last I heard she was shortlisted on a list of 3 remaining candidates and then the media seemed to drop the story.

When was an announcement due?
It's running on UN time. The results may be in before TEMP.2009.HIGH, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
March 11, 2009 01:40PM
I think the contract of the current guy in there ends in September, so we'll have to find out some time before then.
She is confirmed as one of the 3 candidates shortlisted [www.nzherald.co.nz]
With all the support she's got from other nations leaders - Aus, England and now Sth Korea I'd say she's got a pretty good chance then smiling smiley
[www.3news.co.nz]

Sounds pretty promising...

"...all the diplomatic circles are buzzing that Ms Clark is the favoured candidate and an announcement is not far off."
[www.unelections.org]

This was an interesting read, especially the UN opposition to Helen clark.

I'd say Ad Melkert could be a candidate on the top 3 shortlist, being that he has been the Associate Administrator for the job for the past 3 years it could be conceivable that he would be a favourite and move up to the posistion of Administrator with Helen offered the job as the Associate Administrator.
[tvnz.co.nz]

latest news
gr
March 24, 2009 05:34PM
A bit light to support a 16c jump, isn't it?
[www.scoop.co.nz]

She got it...
April 01, 2009 10:06AM
This stock has now been closed following confirmation of the appointment this morning by the general assembly.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login