Security Certificate

Posted by andrew93 
Security Certificate
May 29, 2010 02:00PM
Hi

Today I got an error message when trying to access this website using Firefox. Apparently the security certificate has expired. I presume this isn't a big issue?

Cheers, Andrew
Re: Security Certificate
May 29, 2010 02:10PM
Can confirm the same issue when using Firefox.

No problems loading portfolio (or other pages) at 1:57PM, but got a security certificate error at 2:06PM. Have created a security exception for ipredict.co.nz and that fixes the portfolio page and the other pages as well.
May 29, 2010 02:19PM
Oh dear, problem now affecting pipe42's interactive API page. The "All Stock Prices", "Compare Stocks", "Stock Chart" and "Closed Stocks" tabs aren't working. The only thing that works is the "Graph Bundles" tab. Pipe explains "At present the list of bundles is updated manually, so recent bundles may not be present" which I think probably has something to do with the reason why this function works and the others don't.

I'll send pipe a mail to give him a heads up in the mean time.
May 29, 2010 02:27PM
andrew93 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi
>
> Today I got an error message when trying to access
> this website using Firefox. Apparently the
> security certificate has expired. I presume this
> isn't a big issue?
>
> Cheers, Andrew
>

No - it isn't a big issue (in that you can still create an encrypted session with the IPredict site).

They need to renew their cert with Thawte.

Alan.
May 29, 2010 02:29PM
I imagine his script is getting stuck with the security warning message or something, hence not completing, thus we don't get the data through.

Not good management IPredict! You need to have a warning in your system a month out to renew.

Alan.
May 29, 2010 02:48PM
I just gave Matt a call to let him know about this; he is getting someone to fix it.
May 29, 2010 03:03PM
The Easy API is back online, temporarily ignoring iPredict's security certificate.
May 29, 2010 07:09PM
Hi,

Yes we have been caught out - didn't get any reminders at all.

I have started the renewal process already, and hope to get the renewed certificate in place on Monday.

Sorry about the disruption.

You can accept the certificate anyway (done if different ways for browsers and OS's). This will allow you to carry on as usual.

You will still be trading over an encrypted connection.
May 29, 2010 07:23PM
Thanks for this.smiling smiley
May 29, 2010 07:51PM
Hi iTeam,

My experience is that the certificate providers are very diligent about sending out reminders (it is all automated of course), but that many businesses make the mistake of using personal email addresses such as ([email protected]) when they register their cert.

I suggest that you have an email address such as ([email protected]) which you then internally direct to a distribution list.

That way, when Bob leaves, and his email address is suspended or deleted, the reminder still comes in.

If Bob is in the 'thawte group' but doesn't now exist, then it still goes to the other people, but his existence in the 'thawte' group means that if someone tidies up, and deletes him from that group, then it will trigger the thinking that someone might need to replace him there (especially if he is the only person in that group!)

Alan.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2010 07:51PM by Alan3285.
May 31, 2010 09:39AM
Hello all,

I have now heard back from the university (who manage the certificate on behalf of Thawte) and they have assured us the replacement will be ready "within the hour".

Not sure who got the reminder email (there probably will have been one from Thawte, but it didn't come to iPredict) but it was either not noticed or forgotten about.

My apologies to everyone who was inconvenienced.

You can rest assured that the site was always "safe from prying eyes" as the connection is still encrypted.
May 31, 2010 12:53PM
Well - that took waay longer than it should have.

It's all good now, for another year anyway.

Hopefully we (ie iPredict) will now get a copy of the email reminder sent on to us so that next year we'll have plenty of time to get the replacement in place.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login