David Bain to be found not guilty

Posted by rocketman101 
David Bain to be found not guilty
March 06, 2009 01:53PM
In my opinion this would be an awesome stock to do, not only to trade on but to find out what people think.
Re: David Bain to be found not guilty
March 06, 2009 03:05PM
I'd be interested. Worth putting it out after the OCR closes though as some of us are pennyless
March 06, 2009 03:51PM
I think that would be just about the quickest way to get this site shut down.

Interesting stock nonetheless, maybe some offices could run a sweep.
March 06, 2009 05:06PM
Don't fully agree with Master, but understand concerns. You will find there is an older thread under new stock ideas that says what they can't run stock on (entertainment and sport).

It is at essence a social issue.

Don't see how it is any different from things like the original Peters stock (which bounced wildly as his hearing draged on).

The only thing you would have to be careful of is discussion on the forum, but it is unlikely anything supressed will end up on here.

Unless there is a law that specifically prohibits any kind of "betting" on court cases, but I have studied law and I never heard of one.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2009 05:11PM by rocketman101.
March 06, 2009 07:11PM
Well, I don't know how you could study law and not hear about "contempt of court" or "conspiracy to pervert the course of justice"...

winking smiley

EDITED TO ADD: It would be a very interesting stock. I think it would be like the global warming ones where fervent supporters would drive the price up beyond what was reasonable.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2009 07:14PM by the_master.
March 06, 2009 07:50PM
of course, but you actually have to breach a court order or common standards to be in comtmpt.

I agree they should be careful, but feel it should be ok. They should be able to get legal advice on this no problem.
March 06, 2009 08:02PM
It would be a very nice stock over the next few months, with, I am sure, plenty of movement as different elements of the case were presented.

Could even be bundled:
    • BAIN.09.NOTGUILTY - initially 70c?
    • BAIN.09.GUILTY - 25c
    • BAIN.09.OTHER (to handle a hung jury, mis-trial, etc.) - 5c
Note that I put the .09. distinguisher in, for later trials...
March 07, 2009 11:27AM
The same thought for this stock occurred to me also.

But on deeper reflection, I don't see any reason to tie the pleasures of entertainment, personal gain, and analytical/knowledge harboring systems to a murder trial.
March 07, 2009 05:47PM
Not one for me.thumbs down
gr
March 09, 2009 09:15AM
I'd also be very hesitant to put money on someone else's freedom or misery (politicians don't count).

More palatable options, if the market simply must have a Bain stock, could include the length of the trial - could run overtime or finish early; whether there will be a hung jury; length of jury deliberations...

Actually, they're all starting to sound a bit macabre. Might be best to steer clear of it completely!
March 10, 2009 11:51AM
'But on deeper reflection, I don't see any reason to tie the pleasures of entertainment, personal gain, and analytical/knowledge harboring systems to a murder trial.'

Don't become a lawyer then winking smiley ...
March 10, 2009 12:00PM
lol, good call
March 11, 2009 01:25PM
Funny thread.

I will ask our lawyer since the possibility of running contracts court cases might be interesting to legal schools around the country (we have a research objective) and a prediction market can certainly give insights into evidence coming out of the trial that does or does not matter.

But I strongly suspect this will cross boundaries that could get us shut down, as Master notes. We'll see.
March 16, 2009 05:14PM
I can confirm running contracts on this or any trial isn't a good idea.
bkd
March 16, 2009 07:20PM
Dammit! I was just going to suggest two stocks: BAIN.GUILTY and IPREDICT.SHUTDOWN.THISWEEK

BK Drinkwater
March 21, 2009 04:00PM
LOL
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login